Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Brethren: A Book Review

The Brethren: A Tale of the Crusades



Hello everybody! I promised in an earlier post that I would do a book review on the H. Rider Haggard book I was reading. Yes, I think it better be stated that I LOVE what I’ve read of Haggard. I’ll have to do a review on the first book of his that I read, Pearl Maiden. That is one of my favorite books. Well, a few weeks ago I finished reading The Brethren: A Tale of the Crusades. This book was deeply sorrowful, exciting and definitely one of those books that keeps surprising you with twists and turns you did not expect. It is also one of those books that you feel like crying over it was so sad. 

The story begins with Sir Andrew D’Arcy who fought against Ayoub, the father of Saladin in Palestine. Ayoub took Sir Andrew as a prisoner of war, and there, strangely, Sir Andrew made friends with young Saladin. He also fell in love with Saladin’s half-sister, and convinces her that they must escape to England and be married. This is what happened: Saladin tried to reclaim her, but he could not. To the happy couple, a daughter named Rosamund is born. Rosamund grows up with the friendship of her cousins, the brothers Godwin and Wulf. Unfortunately, both young men fall in love with her, and wish to marry her. They decide that they must both ask her on the same day at different times, and see which she would choose, with the permission of her father. Rosamund decides that in two years, she will either marry the brother that lives, or choose which she would marry. It is that day that a messenger from Saladin comes to Rosamund and her father. As it turns out, Saladin had three dreams in which Rosamund comes to him, and he learns that with her within his lands as princess, he can win the crusades. He tells Rosamund through letter that she must come to him and become the Princess of Baalbec, and he would not force her to marry or take any faith she did not choose, but she must come, or else he would take her by force. Rosamund is kidnapped and taken aboard a ship to be brought to Saladin. The Brethren go after Rosamund, finding an ally in the beautiful Masouda. I will not say anything else because if you read this book, I do not want to spoil the many twists and turns that made this book fabulous.
I loved this book, it was EXCELLENT!!! H. Rider Haggard wrote some really, really good books. I was very upset in some parts because of the tragic events, but it was an OUTSTANDING adventure.
What I liked: I loved the excitement, the many times that the characters nearly didn’t make it, but they ended up surviving, and that even though Wulf and Godwin cannot bring themselves to the reality that they might not get to marry Rosamund, they still make it important that their brotherly love is not compromised through selfish desire. Even at their own cost, they are always seeking the best interest of the other, and always standing up for the other’s honor. Never do they get angry with one another, or treat the other with disrespect. They were true, selfless knights. I also really liked the character Masouda. She was spirited! Though her story was tragic, she was a noble, brave and very intelligent young woman. 
What I didn’t like: I did not like the Catholicism. It talks at points about praying to this that or the other, and does not really give a clear understanding of the gospel. However, I did like how the characters would never compromise their faith and adopt Islam when faced with the Koran or death. There was one scene where Wulf kills the emir, Prince Hassan, who was the one who stole Rosamund away by making the knights and all the others who would protect her by giving them drugged wine. The reason why I didn’t like it was because Hassan in his own way was a friend of Rosamund, and protected her from the evil knight, Lozelle while on the voyage. I felt like it was very vengeful, and Wulf should have responded with forgiveness. The book has many, many people who die because the crusades were just filled with blood, and the eastern culture of the book is one filled with lots of death. The lords of the east were often cruel, and many died. This is true to history.
Why I don’t recommend for younger readers: For several reasons. One, is that unless you read hard literature and classics at the tween and under age, it will be a hard book to understand. (I’m not saying all are like that. I have a friend whose brother read Beowulf under the age of ten.) It’s one of those books you can’t skim, you have to eat the meat. Two, there is much war and death, and the wars and battles are bloody, and often grueling. They are pretty nasty affairs. I would recommend for ages 13-14? up.  13, if you are a mature reader.

This is the third H. Rider Haggard book I have read. They are all great books. My favorite of them is actually Pearl Maiden, but this one is really good too. If you like classics or great historical fiction, then this would be a good one for you. If you are not familiar with Haggard, he’s a little like G. A. Henty. What is everybody reading this year? Did anybody pick up a book written at least before 2000? I hope so!!! I’m thinking this year I need to get some books by Amy Carmichael and G. A. Henty, who I’ve never actually read before. What are some good historical fiction books that you have enjoyed? Tell which ones you love. 

5 comments:

  1. I like your very thorough book review!
    I am reading "Trial and Triumph." It is geared towards younger readers, but I am enjoying the biographical vignettes of historical figures and early church leaders. It is amazing how true stories from hundreds and hundreds of years ago continue to be relevant and inspiring today!
    I saw our G.A. Henty books on the shelf this week and I thought about reading one too! Which one are you thinking of reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for a good G. A. Henty book, check out For the Temple. It's about the destruction of Jerusalem in A.D. 70. It does seem a little slow at the beginning, but maybe that was because I was 12-13 when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should definitely read that. The other book I mentioned, Pearl Maiden is about that. That is one of my favorite books, (which eventually I need to get around to doing a review on...) ;)

      Delete
  3. If you are looking for a good G. A. Henty book, check out For the Temple. It's set during the destruction of Jerusalem in A.D. 70. It did seem to be slow at the beginning, but maybe that was because I read it when I was 12-13.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like G. A. Henty's books so I'm going to look into reading some of H. Rider Haggard's books. Thanks for the review!!
    Lily @ lilymaesday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, they make me so happy!!! Please remember though, to leave comments that fall under the Philippians 4:8 filter. Thank you!