Friday, May 18, 2018

The Bookish End: Lightsabers, Elves, and Why God Created us the Way He Did




I remember the first time that I was presented with the concept of strong female characters. I saw a link to a post written a few months past the time that The Force Awakens came out. A picture of Rey, looking rather bristly was the header. I didn’t click on the link, but the thought stuck in my head. Strong female characters? What’s wrong with Rey being super cool? That is what I thought at the time. As I have thought about this, I discovered a real void in our stories today. We are missing real females. We are given strong female characters instead of real female characters.
What is a strong female character?
Generally, we are thinking of the feministic, fighting, male-slamming gal that doesn’t act at all like a girl. Let’s look at Rey.
Rey from Star Wars: The Force Awakens
In the Force Awakens, Rey starts out not caring about anyone, she’s rather calloused, and can really use that stick of hers. Now, is this a wrong place to start a character? No, it is not. However, where does she go from here?  Well, she meets Finn. Finn becomes her friend, and there seemed to be a bit of a romantic interest here, however, who is the hero in the end with the big epic lightsaber sequence? Well, Kylo Ren came off with a scar on his face, beaten by Rey, and Finn is unconscious.


Finn and Rey
Rey is the strongest, the best, the most amazing. People are singing her praises. Now, let’s look for a minute at the worldview of Star Wars. Was I the only one who saw all the yin-yang looking things? Did you notice that there was an emphasis on how the Force is equal in light and darkness? Remember, in Star Wars, the goal is not to see light conquer, it is to see it balanced. This is a completely off-kilter worldview. Now, when I took the DSST Intro to World Religions, there was one thing about the Yin-Yang that was interesting. One side is associated with feminine, and one with masculine. Do you remember the scene where Kylo and Rey fight over the lightsaber?
Kylo Ren and Rey
What happened? The lightsaber was blown in half. Kylo was not stronger, and Rey is not strong enough yet. Rey has not grown tender or gentler as she has developed. She has gotten stronger, more confident in herself, and in my opinion, harder. The domineering, men-commanding women are the protagonists, and the actual stronger men are the antagonists. The only female that is somewhat male-led was Rose, and she was the dorkiest of the bunch. People didn’t really like her.
So, why am I going into all of this? Because Rey isn’t the only one.
Rey is one among many strong female characters who is female by gender. Nothing of a lady. Now let us contrast her with a very different sort of female character.

Arwen Undomiel, Evenstar of her people. 
Arwen Undomiel
Arwen has only one action scene in the entire three movies. Do you remember the story in the Return of the King? Arwen begins to grow weaker and weaker. Her fate is tied to Aragorn’s victory. If Aragorn loses, Arwen will die. Arwen’s father comes to Aragorn, gives him the sword of his fathers, and tells him to do the impossible and fulfill the prophecy. Aragorn fights, courageously steps up and takes the throne of Gondor after a fight against Mordor itself. I love this scene at the end of the movie.

Here she is. She comes to Aragorn, her father behind her. Feminine, graceful, and beautiful, adorned as a lady. 
Aragorn and Arwen
He comes to her. This is the lady he has fought for, and for a moment, there is a stillness.
And then they rejoice at their reunion. He has won her hand, and this priceless gem, the daughter of Elrond is his. Elrond watches on. If you have read the book, you will know that Elrond set a very high standard telling Aragorn what he must do in order to win his daughter. Now he stands by, giving his daughter to Aragorn.




Notice the difference in their wardrobe. He shows strength and masculinity, and she shows beauty and femininity. Down to their very crowns! She will stand by him as he takes the throne of Gondor.
Let’s compare Arwen and Rey.




First thought, Arwen is so much more gorgeous

Second thought, Arwen gets Aragorn, who is infinitely better than Kylo Ren in every way
My first thought is that Arwen looks like a lady while Rey does not. Now, do our female characters all have to wear the stunning raiment of the elves? No, not by a long shot, but see, this is what I think is key. Rey dresses like the guys pretty much. She just doesn’t really look like she’s that different from them. Furthermore, she takes absolutely no consideration of the fact that she is different from men. Beyond this is the way she carries herself, the way she talks, pushes the guys around, etc. I’m not saying that your character even enjoys or has time to have a perfect manicure or amazing hair, but some distinction in air and dress is refreshing.
Another thought is how Arwen never pushes Aragorn around. She strengthens him, blesses him, encourages him. She uses her femininity to build him up in his masculinity. Rey does not. Rey is competing with them. Whatever they can do, so can she, and maybe even a bit better.
Another is their strengths. This goes a bit more into worldview. Rey finds her strength and confidence within herself. She is her own source of power. Arwen on the other hand has lines like, “What grace is given to me,” “May the grace of the Valar protect you.” She knows that her gifts are not her own. Miracle from The Seventh World Trilogy is a great example of this. She is feminine, beautiful, but she is also very strong, and very gifted. She has a purpose chosen for her by the King. One of my favorite parts of Coming Day is when the three of the others who are gifted by the King come to Miracle, who is now married to Michael O’Roake. When they tell her that the Blackness is trying to destroy them, and they need her help, Michael says he doesn’t want Miracle to be hurt, he doesn’t want to lose her. When they tell Miracle the choice is hers, she responds by saying that she will follow the lead of her husband.Wow. That was super counter cultural. She doesn’t nag, press or push Michael, and the stakes are costly if she doesn’t help. She doesn’t give that amazing one-liner that changes Michael’s perspective. It is the King who changes Michael’s heart.
Arwen is an elf. Let’s just face the fact that elves are really, really amazing. Legolas can walk on top of snow while others plow, run up falling stones, grab a horse in full gallop and throw himself backwards on top of it.
Legolas does this....

Gimli's response
Elves are super, super amazing and are very gifted. So, legitimately, Arwen could defend herself in a tight spot. She's not afraid riding with Frodo, chased by the Nine. Yet, there is not one scene where she takes a stick, sword or otherwise and beats men up with it. Rey irks me in the end of The Force Awakens when Finn cannot beat Kylo Ren, and gets rather banged up, while Rey sends Kylo Ren home with a lovely scar. Does something there seem a little odd to you? Guys who are not as strong as the women are wimps. I’m sorry.
Our pastor was talking about this topic
He said that if you look at the order of creation, God made things more refined and complex every day. First land, then plants, animals, man, and lastly, woman. God created a woman. The pinnacle of his creation! We are very, very special as women. Refined, a cut jewel, special, precious. Our pastor said that for a woman to try to be like a man, it is not a step up, it is a step down. He talked about how woman was made from the rib of a man. We aren’t the head, but without the ribs, what would happen to the heart?
Worldview plays into all of this
What happens in a world where good and evil will continue to battle on and on until the stars go out? They will eventually find that there is nothing worth fighting for. Gender and gender roles are random chance. They don't really matter. In a world created by a sovereign God, with eternity on white shores ahead, and the knowledge that a higher power has willed us to do what we do, at the time it happens, for a purpose, we find that the way we were created is special. With a worldview that says that both good and evil are equal, then no wonder women want to trump men. However, with a worldview that says that God is in control, we find that it is the gift of gender, we find that his word defines us and our purpose as men and women.
There are few things God calls precious, but a meek and quiet spirit in women is one of them
A meek and quiet spirit. God values our femininity, and gives it to us as a gift. (1 Peter 3:4) Masculinity is also a gift. Given to men. Look again at the picture of Arwen and Aragorn. Isn’t it beautiful seeing how they balance each other? Then again in Miracle’s quiet submission when she has so much power within her and a righteous cause to fight for is so beautiful.
Writers, we need more God-defined women in our literature. We need our readers to find strong women, but their strength is in God, and through their femininity. Rey is hardly a jewel or precious gem. She is just another woman trying to compete in a rat race of life in a Sci-Fi world. She is no hero to look up to. Arwen was called Evenstar of her people. She helped bring the masculinity out of the man she loved, not belittling or beating it out of him by competing with him. We need more women like this for readers to look up to. More importantly, we need this in real life. To the girls who read this, get in God’s word, and please don’t despise femininity. We need it badly, just as we need more masculinity. Take the first step by doing your part and embracing your gender. Support feminine women by writing feminine characters in your literature. Am I saying no sword fights, bows and arrows, guns or self-defense? Not by a long shot. I am however saying that I want to see more real feminine strength.
What are your thoughts? I want to know what my readers think about all this. Are you tired of hard female characters?

33 comments:

  1. Wow. I just stumbled across your blog a few days ago, and when I saw the title of this post, I thought, "This is either going to make it or break it. Either I'm going to love this gal, or totally unsubscribe." Thankfully it was totally the former. XD. Thank you for your honest perspective. I totally, wholeheartedly agree. Thanks for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad that it was the former!! ;) Yes, I know that the title of this post was loaded... I'm really glad you liked it!!! :)

      Delete
  2. Very nice post! The only problem is her name is spelled Rey. Not Ray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Oops... Yeah that just shows what a Star Wars geek I am right??

      Delete
  3. What a great post! I completely agree with you on all of your points and hope to see truly strong female characters in fiction-characters made strong not by hardness or skills, but made strong in their character, their values, their confidence, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Micaiah! I really would love to see more women of value and femininity in literature. It makes me so unhappy when I see so many girls trying to be these strong female characters, and boys trying to act like girls...

      Delete
  4. This was really good! It was kinda strange actually because I had a dream that you posted something, and in the morning my sister said you did! I definitely agree about having more feminine ladies in books+movies! Miriam from Pearl Maiden also reminds me of this! While she's very brave (like when she saved Marcus) she's also very feminine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha!!! That's funny!!!
      YESS!!!!!!! Miriam is an awesome example of this!!!! I'm so glad you're reading that book. ;)

      Delete
    2. I just tagged you for something!!

      Delete
    3. Just checked it out!!! ;)

      Delete
  5. I love this Erica! It is such a problem in today's world. A lot of women don't want to be women.
    Another example I can think of is the contrast between the Marvel characters Wanda and Natasha. (Now I've only seen Captain America: Winter Soldier and Captain America: Civil War, so I don't know a whole lot about these characters, but this is what I've observed in those two movies. Feel free to let me know if you feel I'm wrong about this) Natasha is not very feminine at all. She is a hard female character. She fights like a man, punching her way out of situations, and I've not seen her in any type of dress or skirt. Wanda on the other hand is a more feminine character. She cries about the people she accidentally kills, and she wears a dress at least part of the time (granted it is very short). Also she doesn't punch. She has the power to move things with her mind and that's how she fights. I didn't see her throw one punch the entirety of Civil War. Wanda is still not super feminine like Arwen, but she is more so than Natasha. I don't know how many of you reading this have seen any of these movies, but I thought I'd just throw that example out there. :)
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel sad for all of the women who don't want to be women. They are missing out so much... And worse than that, it makes me so sad that anyone would not want to be what God created them to be.
      I haven't seen any Marvel films, but really appreciate female characters who are feminine. Thanks for sharing! <3

      Delete
  6. Wow...this is my favorite post of yours, Erica BY FAR. *applauds tremendously*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much Catherine!! I was a little nervous putting it out because I am a shameless not-really-a-fan of Star Wars, and didn't step on my own toes by writing it. Yet it was not Star Wars I was trying to say pick a fight with, I really just long to see women and girls have feminine role models to look up to. I wish that little girls wouldn't see hard, seductive, fierce, male-trodding women and think, that's what I am supposed to be when I grow up. We writers really need to wake up to this...

      Delete
  7. This is so true. Growing up my favorite characters in books were the crusty, tough women who could give it right back to you. Now I see how harmful that kind of character can be. My real life heroines are the strong wives who stand behind their husbands and support and pray for them. It is such a beautiful picture to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these women aren't even real. I mean, really. How many women are beating up body builders in a street fight? The real strong women are the ones that knew that their strength was in the Lord. I love the stories of women like Amy Carmichael, Corrie Ten Boom, and Mary Slessor and others. They had REAL strength. Then on top of all this, people need to remember that muscle strength is only outward strength. Real strength goes beyond flesh and bone. Thanks for commenting!!

      Delete
  8. Hey Erica! Nice post! I tagged you one my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this post Erica! It was wonderful and very needed!
    Just a random question, what do you think a real female in a sword fight would look like? Just wondered what your thoughts on that was...
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I really enjoyed thinking this through.
      That is a really good question. First of all, how well is she trained, how well is the opponent trained, and lastly, what is her physical situation/opponent's situation. Those sorts of questions. You know, an elf would be pretty epic because, well... One thing to really keep in mind, is how does the opponent do fighting other men? Is he slicing down the guys, banging them up, and then he fights this teen girl for ten minutes? Just one thing to think about. I think it really depends a lot about who she is fighting. If she is quite well trained that is something to keep in consideration. I mean, there's nothing wrong with self-defense. I would love to take a class in that. I think there is a big difference with fist fights and sword fights though...

      Delete
    2. Thanks! That makes a lot of sense! Thanks!
      Just a random question...(another one, I know;), what do you think of Eowyn versus the Witch King of Angmar? I really love Eowyn, but I'm not sure how to take "I am no living man" and the events that follow. Is it an example of how a woman's power is different from a man's power, or is Eowyn super feminist? Just wondered what your thoughts on that was, and because I know you love Eowyn too...

      Delete
    3. You're welcome!
      Hmm... Interesting question!!! It's a very interesting fight sequence, and very, very obviously, she is not as strong as the Nazgul King. In fact, she and Merry should not have been able to kill him. I can't remember every detail, but I think in some ways she and Merry were both a lot lighter on their feet, and therefore just moved faster, whereas they would certainly not have been able to last longer had it not progressed as it did.
      That line... "I am no man." I love that line. I think it has to do a lot with the system of power in that world too. First of all, does the Nazgul King mean that no man can kill him physically? Because if you think about it, it is very clear that you cannot kill them (no, precious), they will take on a new form. Secondly, the other thought is though no man can kill them, perhaps that DOES exempt Eowyn since she isn't a man. I think that would have more to do with the spiritual aspect rather than the physical aspect of it. I tend to think that it was probably more of the first, no man can kill the nazgul (neither woman, nor hobbit), but Eowyn did send him back to Sauron dismantled to take on a new form. Perhaps he did not return because Sauron was defeated and Mordor destroyed. Maybe I'm wrong about this, I haven't read part in over a year, but that would be my guess...

      Delete
  10. Thanks for your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just tagged you over at my blog if you want to go check it out. It's in the "Tags!!!" page! You don't have to do it if you don't want to though... :)
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check it out, Brookelyne!! I probably will take a little time to get to it... Thanks for tagging me though!!!

      Delete
  12. First off can I just say how refreshing it is to see a lady write a post like this! In todays culture (especially where I live) This is seen as the very enemy of women's rights. I'm honestly tired of the whole feminist movement in characters and movies. It's like no one know what places where are created for. I did like how you used two really popular movies to illustrate your point (Not that I've seen LoTR). Thanks again for the post it was really nice to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marrok! I am so sad when I realize that the media has made these fierce, man-slaying females the role models of girls. I mean, how many women do you meet who think being a stay-at-home mom is a worthy career? I wish girls would realize that being tough and hard is not the same thing as strength. Furthermore, I wish media would stop feeding them the feminist agenda, and show them REAL feminine characters who show courage, strength and faith, yet within God-defined role for them.
      Thanks again! Marrok, you need to go watch (and read) LOTR.

      Delete
  13. Love this ... while I like strong female characters, that doesn't mean I like them to put men down, or be cruel, or act masculine. Beauty and kindness don't have to be forfeited for strength of character ;) I most certainly like Arwen better than Rey.

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading your blog. Great stuff. I am Following now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. reat stuff, love reading it. Thanks for sharing anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, they make me so happy!!! Please remember though, to leave comments that fall under the Philippians 4:8 filter. Thank you!