![]() |
| It is starting to feel like I'm really blowing out a lot of candles. |
On Friday, March 9th 2018, I turned seventeen. Even though I don’t like The Sound of Music, I felt like it was important to watch that “sixteen-seventeen” thing while I was still sixteen… but since I don’t like it I procrastinated until the two days before my birthday! Turning seventeen is bittersweet because the character that I am most like in my book is still sixteen, so I feel like I’m leaving part of myself in the book and growing up outside of it, but I guess that’s why she gets older in the next book.
Now, turning seventeen also means that I have only one year
left before I am legally an adult. That is partially sad. I mean, when I’m
eighteen, people expect you to get a move on with your life! Go to college, start
your career, get married have kids, stop, spoil grandkids and then die. Well,
maybe not all while I’m 18. Actually, that is the topic of this post.
When people ask me, what are you going to do when you grow
up (or go to college for, or do after college, or high school or whatever [it’s
easier to say grow up]), I guess read books is not a valid answer (unless I
become an editor…). Thankfully, what I want to do is write. Which, I am doing
right now so really, I don’t have to wait until I grow up to do or become what
I want.
I don’t think that we young people should think that we have
to spend boatloads of money on education or find “The One” or “The Thing” before
we can become who we want to be. Now,
if you want to be a doctor, of course you have to go to college, but really,
after you get your job and degree, is that what makes you what you are? Of
course, you are given the title doctor only after you’ve earned it, just how I
am not an author until I’ve published, but do I have this metamorphosis the moment
I get my degree or accomplish my goal? No. No goal reached can ever be your
identity. In my true self, I am a dreamer, word-smith and storyteller. I don’t
have to get a college degree to be those, and have those things be me. Now, I
should think about polishing my skills and working hard, publishing, etc. These
things are the things that will help me help others and glorify God. As of
right now, however, I’m writing the books I want to publish, and therefore, I’m
doing what I want to do when I grow up. That is a really wonderful thought. God
makes us who we are, gives us dreams, and more importantly has plans for us.
Now, what if you are dreaming of being a mentor, mother or
missionary. Perhaps God hasn’t brought a person desperate for wisdom, a husband
and baby or the plane ticket to Africa, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be
fulfilled now. If he’s given you the desire to teach someone, then start by
changing the topic from Pinterest with your friend to things of God. If you
can’t have a family of your own right now, then learn from your younger
siblings how to be a loving mom, or if you are the youngest or don’t have any
siblings, volunteer to work with somebody else’s children in one way or
another. If you want to be a missionary, try sharing the gospel right here
where you live. I’ve shared the gospel to the guy making my sandwich at Subway,
handed him a tract, and then walked away, and with so many people buzzing
around us every day, there’s plenty of opportunities for even short and sweet
messages like that. There is never one way to do what you were born to do. If
you want to sing, then start at church, singing to bless others. You don’t have
to wait to grow up to do what you dream. An author doesn’t become an author in
one day, they take months and years to write their books that make them
authors. So, my point today, is begin living out your calling and purpose right
now. Maybe you’re just practicing at this point, but one day, God might have a
reason for all that preparation. Don’t let what the world expects you to do be
your limitations. 1 Timothy 4:12-16 says “Let
no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech,
in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the
public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. Do not neglect the
gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid
their hands on you. Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that
all may see your progress. Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching.
Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.”
That passage should put the wind in the sails of every young person who
seeks to glorify God! I believe this says that even though we are young, we shouldn’t
let that prevent us from devoting ourselves to the gifts that God has given us.
Practice them, immerse ourselves in them. Keep a close watch on yourself and on
the teaching (make sure we don’t grow proud, or stray from our teaching, keep a
grip on it and always live what we teach). Persist (which means don’t give up).
One thing I’ve learned especially in these last years, has been that I am not
the average teen girl. I don’t live up to the world’s expectations. I fully
plan to far exceed what any college professor, trainer, coach or peer could
expect of me. My life goal is to glorify God and to let his will run my life.
If I do things differently and am not raving about the things they rave about,
maybe it’s because I am on a different course, and am walking a different road.
There are other roads that are far less traveled, but maybe these roads are the
ones that will lead to something real and of true worth. I know they do because
God’s will is that I glorify him, and that is what mankind was created for. I
don’t have to get a college degree or perfect lip color to do that.
God calls us to different ways of glorifying him. He wants
some to bear children and teach them about him, and he wants some to deliver
children, and even save the child and mother’s life. If he didn’t have these
different plans, then perhaps I wouldn’t be alive, and perhaps some of us
wouldn’t have mothers or siblings. Don’t wait to be 20 something to glorify God
and seek his will, start now, practice, immerse, keep a close watch on yourself
and your teaching (or rather his teaching), don’t neglect your gift and
calling. Persist.
What about you? How are you glorifying God? What is your
gift?


Yes to ALL OF THIS! I decided college wasn't for me and I'm completely happy with that. I really feel God has me on this road of writing and eventually speaking. When I was fifteen, He told me that I would be a public speaker. Having horrible stage fright, I doubted Him. Eventually, I have come to the conclusion that I will follow what He wants for me, be it writing, speaking, or something else. I have an entrepreneur's heart and want to be my own boss.
ReplyDeleteI love this post and I believe you are so right! Thank you. <3
~Ivie| Ivie Writes
That's really awesome!!! What do you think you'll be speaking on? I know I've been so impacted by speakers in my life. I totally think that opting out of college is an option that people should think about more often. If somebody isn't going to use the degree, then why spend the money and time?
DeleteThat is the mindset that I think everybody should have. God's will > My will.
Thank you so much!!!
BTW My mom had her first speaking engagement on Saturday!!
I really liked this post! I'm not planning on doing college either, and becoming the person you want to be is a pretty neat thought! It's not like we're gonna just wake up and be that person one day, we gradually become them! Also, me and my sister just realized that the girl on the top left of you blog header is the elf from "Lord of the Rings!" That's so neat, because I've seen your header so many times, but never knew who it was. We just watched Lord of the Rings for the first time ( I really liked it!) The cake picture's from that too, right?
ReplyDeleteThank you!!!
DeleteYES!!! Arwen Undomiel, Evenstar of her people. I couldn't help putting the cake and the gate sign pictures up. I just started reading The Hiding Place which starts with the watch shop's 100th birthday. It just struck me that birthday parties are good ways to begin books.
Did you watch the Extended or the Theatrical version?
Part 1 and 3 were regular (I think) and part 2 was extended! My dad just brought home the Hobbit series from the library. They're pretty scratched up, but we're planning on watching them next. And my sister wants to find the books at the library! :D Happy Birthday!!!! Did you do anything special? Hope your birthday was wonderful!
DeleteO.K. The second one was the one that made me most upset when I watched the theatrical when I had my surgery this year. We had watched the Extended last year, but we did it through streaming and we had the theatrical on disk, so I watched them and it made me sad because they left some of my favorite parts out. Especially the second one because they leave out all the cute scenes with Merry and Pippin (like when they're growing because of the Ent Draught). Hope you love the Hobbit!!! The first one especially had us laughing so hard. Also, the books are amazing, and if you loved the movie, then you should love the books.
DeleteThank you! No, not really. We just stayed home and had a family celebration at dinner. That night I spent a lot of time working on writing, so that was really fun. Overall it was a great day!
Happy Birthday! I'm seventeen too! I don't really know what I want to be "when I grow up" :-) And the idea of graduating is kind of a scary one. I was once told that you can't steer a car that isn't moving so as long as we keep moving forward, then it's ok to not have it all figured out. So for me, I'm just trying to trust God to steer my car where it is His will for it to go...
ReplyDelete-Brooklyne
That's a really cool picture, letting God steer the car!!! I'm actually really looking forward to the prospect of graduating, but I'm trying to remember that God is the one who makes the best plans, and that I need to trust him that he has the whole picture.
DeleteDo you have a blog? ;) If so, I'm not sure how to find your web address. <3
You don't like The Sound of Music????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? That's so sad! :(
ReplyDeleteReally good blog post! Encouraging to young people! Thanks!
Hee-hee... *shuffling my feet* well, I pretty much hate Liesel with a passion for being such a pathetic flirt, being so utterly boy-crazy, and her general idiotic character, and I don't really like Captain Von Trapp either. Some of it is alright, I'll admit I enjoyed watching it, but I still don't like it (maybe because my sisters watched it and the Carrie Underwood disgrace version way too much for awhile I sort of burned out on it).
DeleteThank you!!!
Well, I will admit that the love-thing between Liesel and Rolf is kinda dumb...but it's still good! I haven't seen the Carrie Underwood version and I don't really want to. Wasn't Julie Andrews good enough??! LOL.
DeleteYou're welcome!
PLEASE DON'T WATCH THE CARRIE UNDERWOOD VERSION!!!! It is HORRIBLE!!! They leave out songs, add songs, move songs around so they're not in the right order. I'm not a fan of the first one and the second one is even worse. The acting is also much worse... ;)
DeleteHappy Birthday, Erica!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Beth!
DeleteGood point! And inspiring thoughts about glorifying God with the gifts He's given us -- something we all need to work on.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Thank you, Olivia!
Delete