Hello everybody! I am
working hard on my first book right now because I am hoping to have it in a
readable form all the way through by the summer. Inevitably, in a book that is
almost 400 pages with a small font, what am I going to find? Weak spots. Plenty
of them. I’m going to talk about weak spots today, and how to turn them into
something beautiful.
What is a weak
spot?
Well, I don’t think it takes
a lot of imagination to understand this. It is what it sounds like. A spot that
doesn’t flow well with the rest of the story, needs to be updated, lengthened,
shortened, etc. Sometimes it doesn’t fit with your story or writing style and
needs a lot of work. Sometimes they’re not horrible, they’re just weak.
Where do they
come from?
Well, they can come
especially from your first and second drafts when you are tired and not sure
what to write. You decided to write whatever came to the top of your head. If
you survived the first draft, then when you read through, you realized that
some of the stuff was pathetic. I’m still doing that nearly three years later
from when I first started. Weak spots that are inconsistent can come as you
edit, updating and changing. Perhaps you had a different vision for a character
in the beginning, and a year later, his character is vastly different. Any weak
spots with him that are consistent with the old, but not the new are bad.
Another is the writing style. If you go through a vat change of writing style
(as I did) in the middle of writing a book, you basically have to rewrite
everything. Please remember that when you start a book at age fourteen, you
WILL go through a lot of changes as you learn to read it as a more mature teen.
Where do they
seem to lurk?
Beginnings and ends. It’s
hard to write beginnings and end! It’s only natural that they should be weak
spots. Another is the pivotal turning point. The part where everything changes.
You are basically having to rechannel the direction of the book. Depending on
what you write, that is not easy. Like I said earlier, there will also be those
times that you didn’t know what to write and wrote a cheesy scene (more for
younger writers growing into older writers).
First things to think about.
Here are some hopefully
helpful tips on rewriting these weak spots. In identifying a weak spot, you
need to know what needs work, and what needs to be replaced. First of all, what
books would you like your book to stand up with? What I mean by this, is when
somebody asks a friend what books like Anne
of Green Gables she likes, she will remember your book because they are
similar. What books do you look up to as the ultimate and peer of your writing
genre? What books do you want to write like in style, etc. My personal peer is
J. R. R. Tolkien, and The Lord of the
Rings. The one big difference is probably that I don’t use the word magic. How
are my books like his? Well, they are very long, I try to use the same
beautiful writing style, the medieval flare is similar, I try to write deeply like
he does, and they are very long journeys, not really mysteries. What do I
really want to be similar? Probably the writing style. I love books that are
written around 100 years ago, and I think that there’s just a real beauty about
them. Knowing that I want to write in that style helps me when I consider
something and realize that it sounds too modern. One of the biggest things I’ve
observed is the descriptions, writing with older descriptions can be hard, but
I love them way better than the usual choppy style. Weather should be watched
closely, like don’t make it summer forever and then winter in a week. Watch
sentimental parts, anything in the character development, spiritually or
emotionally needs to really be monitored. Watch romances, make sure that you
don’t repeat them over and over and over with the same male heroes, and same
female heroines. Like, if you have two romances, don’t make both men outgoing
and proud with the females both soft and timid. Maybe just one timid girl, and
the other plays the part of a redheaded spitfire. Make one guy bold and daring,
and the other more thoughtful perhaps.
A scene that needs replacing.
Let’s use the example of the
farewell scene between two close siblings.
Ways to help you rewrite it:
Check the scene. Was it in a
garden? On the castle stairs? That might work in a fairy tale, but perhaps not
a more serious adventure. Is a starry night below the cold blue mountains
better? Or if it’s not an emergency and can wait till the morning, what about
in the rustling grass looking out over the hills?
Check the words: “Farewell,
I love you, brother and shall miss you.” Just doesn’t really work. If you make
the emotion just right between the two, the words won’t matter as much. Just
think about all the meaning and impact as Sam says, “Well, I’m back.” If he had
said, “I’ve lost my dearest Frodo, but life must go on.” That wouldn’t have had
the same stunning impact. People don’t speak poetry very often. In these really
emotional scenes, the characters don’t have time to think out song perfect
phrases. The emotion and description in these parts will probably hold more
significance than the words. If you’ve ever read Rilla of Ingleside you’ll know what I mean. The last scene where
she lisps upon seeing Kenneth somehow wrapped all the sadness, despair, humor
and beauty of that book all together. If you’ve never read that book and are an
Anne fan, please read it because it so good!
Check the gestures: Don’t
make them hug three times, and weep. If it is an emergency, and the brother is
leaving very quickly, or perhaps it’s the sister escaping, that is a little
less formal. If they think they might never see each again, maybe he kisses her
forehead before he shoves her out the window to escape. If it is more formal
(riding away to war), then maybe they are holding onto some threads of seeing
each other again, and don’t treat it like their last meeting. There might be a
little more stiffness in the farewell. Maybe a hand on the arm, kiss on the
hand, or maybe a brotherly grasp if it is two brothers. Depending on the
characters personalities, just think about what they would be doing in the
situation, not what’s sentimental.
Make it special: Don’t
describe each and every detail. Describe the few special ones, and then let
your reader imagine the rest. Remember the way that Rilla lisps ties everything
together. Montgomery didn’t have to write a ton of detail to make the ending
perfect. Referencing something, even a quirk like that can be enough. Less is
more in these times.
Why I love weak spots.
Weak spots are like uncut
jewels, and in my experience, they can often be turned into beautiful scenes.
One part of my book I had never loved was the ending. One character was always
getting on my nerves, but I needed him, and could never get him to do what I
wanted. He was supposed to be a menacing villain, but he always came out like a
fool. Then I struck upon the idea that he knows he’s acting like a fool, but he
has a reason for it. It seemed to be a gateway that all of a sudden let a flood
of new ideas come pouring in. The end is so much stronger now. If a scene is
bad, don’t always scrap it, rethink, and sometimes it is amazing just how much
you can glean from this one rewritten scene.
God might be in them.
Don’t stress about a scene
that is not coming out perfectly. Perhaps in God’s timing, he has a plan for
these spots and what might come of replacing them. In my writing, if it hadn’t
been for weak spots, and the timing I’ve had of fixing them, my book, and the
whole series wouldn’t be the same. I am so glad that things haven’t been near
as perfect because other things that came into my life that influenced my
writing had to come at the right time. Weak spots that could have been fixed
without these influences wouldn’t be what they are now. Just remember that
there may be things God might use the weak spots to hold you back for a time so
that in the end your book will be stronger. Pray about weak spots and remember
to never grow impatient with your writing, in the end, you will be able to see
God’s hand and glorify him.
What did you think? Do you
like weak spots? How do you evaluate/fix them?

I loved this post!! There was so much good stuff in here!
ReplyDeleteMy writing is FULL of weak spots - I write in a quilting/snippet style where the individual scenes are tight but sewing them together is...interesting to say the least. To be honest, I haven't quite nailed down my process of fixing that yet...
Catherine
catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com
Thanks, Catherine!!
DeleteThat's really interesting!!! I've never really done anything but discovery writing, unless I want to rewrite a spot and map that out, but usually I don't have much of an outline if any. Why do you like that style in particular? :)
Great post! I have a idea for a series that I have not quite started yet, so these tips will come in handy:-).
ReplyDeleteAlso I noticed that what you said towards the end could also aply in life. God has a plan for our weak spots! Thanks for posting!
-Brooklyne
That's awesome!!! I'm so glad if this can help in any way. :)
DeleteYes, thank you for pointing that out! That is very encouraging. You're welcome!!!
This was a good post! (I always like your posts!!!) And I love how you say to pray about them! If pray about our writing it can be so much more powerful+ accomplish so much for God!I don't really know what books I want my books to be like, but it does seem like it could help!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!!! That means a lot. <3
DeleteI totally believe that. I was just thinking about how awesome it is that God's word is the #1 best seller, and he's also the author of the universe, and that he's interested in my writing?! I'm awed that I can ask for writing advice from the greatest author of all times.
It does help a lot because then you can reference different books and see what they do, such as how the dialogue works, certain words that they use a lot, etc. If I had a spare copy, then I could actually take highlighters through the book and mark stuff up, but that's just my idea. ;)
that's a god idea!
DeleteThanks! <3
DeleteGreat post! I was wondering do you do Pinterest?
ReplyDeleteThanks, Merry Day!!! No, I actually don't. I want to eventually, but because of some big things going one/planning about I don't want to start just yet... EVENTUALLY I will get around to doing it. ;)
Delete